Redefining Community Experience (RCE) is a three-day retreat that provides students with an opportunity to examine Washington University through a critical lens. Sponsored by Campus Life, RCE is an exciting opportunity for you to meet and connect with other students in a setting that promotes dialogue about social justice and community building.
Activities are designed to spark discussions around embracing multiple identities, power and privilege, and what does the word “community” mean to you.
The retreat will be held on January 13-15, 2017 and is FREE to all Washington University Students; this includes lodging accommodations, transportation, and meals. All students, regardless of leadership experience, are encouraged to apply. Selected students who cancel registration after November 18, 2017 will be charged $150 fee to your student account. Submitting the application signifies your agreement to the expectations.
Thank you for taking the time to consider joining us! Registration is open until November 4th. We look forward to meeting you!
- Each day serves to connect you to remarkable student leaders and give you tools that will foster an inclusive environment at Washington University
- Participants will establish lifelong friendships and community with their small groups and large group of over 50 students
- Fun and rich conversations of intersectionality will be introduced to give you new perspectives around social justice initiatives
- Small groups establish ground rules to create brave spaces and encourage everyone to ask questions, reflect, and hold deeper conversations
- You will be introduced to social justice terminology and learn how to vulnerably fail and lead with courage and authenticity
- Define and articulate their personal values
- Recognize their own multiple identities, experiences and biases
- Recognize and reflect upon concepts of privilege/power
- Evaluate and reflect on their actions and modify as necessary
- Recognize and identify the role that diversity has in a global society
- Understand the communities in which they are a part
- Understand their cultural identities and their impact on the community
- Explore opportunities to serve their communities
- Seek input form others
- Create an open, inclusive and trustworthy environment
- Engage in open, direct, and respectful conversation with others
- Demonstrate active listening
What are past participants saying?
Coming to RCE was probably one of the best decisions that I’ve made since coming to WashU. I learned so much about myself, and the fact that I don’t have to be stifled by my multiple identities was very liberating! I loved the experience and the many amazing individuals that I met. – Jasmine
I signed up not knowing anything or anyone related to RCE. I came back with 30 new friends and a much better vision of what I can accomplish at WashU. It’s a great experience for meeting different kinds of people and challenging how you think about and take action in your community. – Laura
Redefining Community was a creation and maintenance of a truly safe space where people could be who they are unapologetically and come to respect and love others for who they are. – Cameron