While the primary focus of advising in Campus Life is with student organizations, advisors work with all students to help realize their needs, passions, and strengths. Student group advisors strive to be responsive, visible, accessible, energetic, approachable, creative, able to welcome change and challenge the status quo, good humored, and an advocate for all students. More specifically, a student organization advisor will maximize the organizations’ potential and have a vested interest in addressing the organizations needs.
In addition to the members of Campus Life, volunteers from all areas on campus agree to serve in the role of Student Group Advisor. Not every student group at Washington University is required to have an advisor. However, many more groups seek advisors than there are staff able to advise them.
Interested in becoming an advisor?
Fill out the Advisor Interest Form on WUGO. No experience required – just a lot of enthusiasm for working with WashU students. Training and support is available to all advisors.
Below are the responsibilities and expectations of a student organization advisor:
(For explanations and examples of these expectations see the document below or the Student Group Advisor WUGO page )
- Be familiar with the student group mission, vision, history, and constitution.
- Set clear and mutual advisor expectations with group members.
- Be familiar with relevant University and Student Union policies, procedures, and resources.
- Use questions and feedback to challenge and support group development.
- Ensure that the group and its efforts are inclusive and respectful of all communities.
- Encourage accountability amongst the group.
- Advocate for and support the group and its mission when appropriate.
- Setting Your Student Group Direction (PDF)
- Student Group Advisor Evaluation (PDF)
- Student Group Advisor Expectations (PDF)
- Student Group Evaluation (PDF)
- Tips for Student Group Advisors (PDF)
- Transitioning for Student Groups (PDF)
Planning events with your students? Check out Event Registration in the Student Group Tools section.